The Q&A Archives: Azalea Bush in planter

Question: How do I look after my azalae that is in a planter during the winter months here in Illinois. I have recently moved from South Carolina where winters were not a problem?

Answer: Unfortunately, it may be very difficult to overwinter the azalea successfully especially if the planter is narrow. The reason is that the roots will not be as well insulated as they would be if planted in the ground. Also, many azalea varieties are not winter hardy enough for the potentially very cold Illinois winters. Probably the best you can do is mulch generously over the roots in late fall after the ground has begun to freeze. (Remove the excess in the early spring.) Also provide a windbreak if the plant is in a windy spot where winter winds will hit constantly. If it is an evergreen type you could also try using an anti-transpirant spray such as Wiltpruf per the label directions. Best of luck with your azalea this winter!