The Q&A Archives: Goats Beard not happy

Question: My new goats beard doesn't look happy. Didn't grow it's first year. It reminds me of old celery leaves. It's autumn now, so I moved it so it will get steady filtered sun throughout the afternoon next season. Is there anything else I should know?

Answer: For most of the growing season, goatsbeard is a pleasant-enough plant with light green, fernlike foliage--except in mid to late spring when the creamy-white plumes of tiny flowers appear above the foliage. The flowering period is quite dramatic and lasts for about three weeks.

I think you were right in moving it. Goatsbeard grows best in a moist, rich, loamy soil. Where summers are warm to hot (such as yours), give it filtered shade; in cool-summer climates, goatsbeard can handle morning sun.

Now that you've moved the plant, I suspect your goatsbeard will perk up and grow well for you next year.