The Q&A Archives: composting with a black garbage bag

Question: An expert previously answered me that you have to use brown and green material for composting. That would be grass clippings for green and fall leaves for brown. It isn't necessary for me to use leaves because I can have them picked up by sanitation. However the grass clippings are mandatory. I have to compost them. Sanitation will not pick them up. After I cut the grass, the clippings do turn brown a few weeks later after leaving them on the lawn. After I rake them up can I use these brown clippings for the brown material and the fresh grass clippings for the green material? Other brown material I have are the weeds after I spray them. They die the next day.

Answer: Green materials are those high in nitrogen, such as freshly mowed lawn. You can also compost kitchen scraps (nothing with grease or high in fat). You can use virtually anything else for your compost, including dried grass, green or brown leaves, even newspaper. Just try to have a mixture of different materials and your compost should be just fine. It's not an exact science, just a way to reduce the materials you send to the landfill.

Best wishes with your compost adventure!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"