The Q&A Archives: Winterize and Deer-Proof a Japanese weeping cherry tree.

Question: I just planted (11/25/2007)my new Japanese Weeping Flowering Cherry tree and need advice on how to protect it this winter from the cold and keep the deer from nibbling at it. I live in the south central part of New York state.

Answer: Your tree will not need special cold protection except for mulch over the root area. Use an organic mulch such as pine bark nuggets and place it in a flat layer about three to four inches thick and spread out flat over the root area. Keep it a few inches away from the trunk.

If deer are a problem in your area, you may want to consider using a tall fence to keep the deer out of your yard and protect all of your landscape plants. Alternatively you can try placing a tall fence around the perimeter of the tree to keep them away from it in the winter months. Or, you can try the spray on repellants labeled for deer, read and follow the directions for application and when to reapply.

Enjoy your new tree!