The Q&A Archives: Bulbs

Question: Hi, I really hope it's not too late to plant some bulbs. Yesterday I found two boxes of bulbs that I forgot to plant last month, I live in NJ so its really cold already, however may be I could plant them in a container that I could leave outside during the day to get sunshine and get into the house by nigth to avoid freezing. I don't know its just a solution I want you to tell me if would work. Thanks

Answer: I'd suggest planting the bulbs in containers now and leaving them outdoors rather than taking them indoors at night. Bulbs are quite cold tolerant and they need an extended period of cold weather to help them develop flowers. Plant the bulbs as soon as possible and leave the containers outdoors (if the ground is not frozen, you could plant them in the garden instead of in containers). They should begin to grow right on schedule this spring. Best wishes with your bulbs!