The Q&A Archives: What should I plant in my Vegetable Garden in Phoenix?

Question: Last year I created a vegetable garden in Chandler, AZ. I had good growth but few fruit (cucumber, zuchini, squash, bell peppers, bannana peppers, herbs, tomatoes and watermelons).
I read it could have been due to polination issues.
Can you assist me in determining what could be planted to have a great garden. And what are the best seasons to do so. Thank you.

Answer: Lack of pollenation can be weather related; insects are not out and about when temperatures are below 40 or above 90 degrees. With this in mind, if you can time your planting for more moderate temperatures, you'll have much more success with your veggie garden. The University of Arizona has published the following helpful guide:

Print off a copy so you'll have it on hand and will know the optimal times for sowing seeds or setting out transplants. I think you'll have lots of success this coming year with your veggie garden.