The Q&A Archives: Does my new tangelo tree need another citrus tree to produce fruit?

Question: Hello,
I recently purchased a Honey Bell Tangelo (Minneola) tree. Does this tree require another citrus tree near it for pollenation purposes to produce fruit?

Another backyard citrus tree will be hard to find in Miami because they were all cut down two years ago due to the citrus canker outbreak.

Thank you

Answer: For the most part, citrus trees are considered self-fruitful so you only need one, as long as there is adequate insect activity (bees, wasps, and other flying insects). University studies do show that even self-fertile trees produce a bigger crop if another citrus tree is in the neighborhood so if you have room, you may want to plant a second tree. Best wishes with your new tree!