The Q&A Archives: How to get rid of sand burrs in the lawn

Question: I have reciently purchased a home with a wonderful lawn. However, it has a lot of burrs in the lawn. How can I go about getting rid of these little problems. They are bad..

Answer: Cindee,

Sandburs or grassburs are especially troublesome in areas of the lawn that have poor soil or tend to be droughty at times. Sandy soils fit this situation especially well.

Fertilizing and watering give your turfgrass the upper hand. Along with frequent mowing, these cultural practices can help you win the grassbur war over a year or two.

There are herbicides that can prevent their seeds from germinating. These must be applied early in the spring and reapplied a couple of months later in order to catch them before they sprout and begin to grow. Once the sandburs are up and growing these products will not be effective.