The Q&A Archives: Indoor Palm trees

Question: Hello, I have two Palm Tree's that I am storing in my living room until summer arrives. I live in Virginia Beach. It seems like the tips are all dying. I try to keep them in as much sun as I can. I have the Moisture Soil in the pots. How often should I be watering them and should I also be spritzing them with water or just watering them at the base. Is there any kind of fertilizer that I can put on them?

Answer: Palms are sensitive to salt build-up (usually from over-fertilizing) and to having wet feet. I think the browning indicates soil that's too wet. Allow the top of the soil to dry out before watering, and leach the salts out of the soil periodically by immersing the pot in water until the soil is thoroughly saturated, allowing to drain, then immersing again. This process will effectively leach salts from the soil. Once you dry things out, the palms should thrive.