The Q&A Archives: How do I prune a fuyu persimmon tree?

Question: I have two mature fuyu persimmon trees about 12-15 feet tall. How do I prune them for production? Should they have an open center like other fruit trees for light and air circulation? I'm not having any problems with them. Currently they produce very nice crops and are also very nice shapes. I just want them to stay good, healthy producers. Thank you

Answer: We always recommend you prune persimmon trees to develop a strong framework of main branches while the tree is young. Otherwise the fruit, which is borne at the tips of the branches, may be too heavy and cause breakage. A regular program of removal of some new growth and heading other branches each year will improve structure and reduce alternate bearing. An open vase system is probably best. Even though the trees grow well on their own, persimmons can be pruned heavily as a hedge, as a screen, or to control size. They even make a nice espalier. If you want to reduce the size considerably, I'd suggest doing it over a period of 2-3 years so there is always new growth and you'll always have fruit production.

Best wishes with your persimmons!