The Q&A Archives: Bringing Morning Glories Indoors

Question: I was reading a description in a seed catalog of a particular variety of morning glory which I believe was Flying Saucer' variety. It said that you can bring a spray of these buds indoors in a vase and watch the flowers unfurl in succession over a week's time. Will all morning glories do this? Also, do you have a similar variety? It said that the plant produces "easy to cut blossom sprays," whatever that means. Thank you for any advice you might have for me! Shawnya Slattery Richardson, TX

Answer: Morning glories will unfold indoors after cutting. The best varieties to do this are the "moonflower" types such as 'Giant White' listed on page 39 of the 1997 Burpee catalog. "Easy to cut blossom sprays" means the shoots are easy to reach and cut for display as a cut flower. Try them out and see what you think..