The Q&A Archives: elephant ears

Question: My husband and I live in Las Vegas. I grew up in Texas and my mom always had elephant ears- I simply love this plant! Can it grow well here in Las Vegas with enough water, and if so where can I buy them? No one seems to know what I am talking about. Thanks- Brandy

Answer: Elephant Ears are tropical plants, known botanically as Alocasia. You can generally find the roots available in garden centers each spring. Typically they grow all summer long and then the foliage dies back when winter weather arrives. I can understand why they would be popular in Texas - the humidity can be high during the summer months. But in Las Vegas, where the summer air is hot and dry, you may not be as successful with these plants as you have been in the past. I suspect that is why you cannot find them in your local garden centers. Wish I had better news for you!