The Q&A Archives: I'm a BEGINER!

Question: The main thing I need to know before I start any of my research for plants is... what is the difference between annuals and perennials? Also, I am looking for a good plant for ground coverage that has alot of color. Goof leaf color, and colorful blooms of red, yellow, and purple.

Answer: If you're a beginner, this is the right place to start! Annuals are plants that grow, flower, set seed and die in one growing season. They must be replaced every year. Perennials are plants which grow for 3 or more years. There are herbaceous perennials (those that die down at the end of the growing season) and woody perennials (those which retain their woody stems from year to year). The most popular groundcover in your growing region is Lantana. It's available in yellow, red, orange or a combination of these colors, as well as lavender. It takes the heat and the occasional cold snap. Another popular groundcover is Aptena. It remains deep green all year around but the flowers are quite small. You'll find lots of other choices in the garden center of your local Home Depot.

Best wishes with your garden!