The Q&A Archives: Shady front porch

Question: I have a pretty shady, north-facing front porch that I would like to spruce up with some spring color. I was wondering what kinds of flowering plants would do well in pots in a shady area? There is lots of ambient light, but no direct sunlight. I love pansies and primroses, but I don't think they would do well without direct sunlight - do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Answer: Pansies will be happy in the site you describe, but primroses won't flower as freely as they would out in the sunshine. You might also consider campanula in shades of blue, purple, white or pink, hellibore, saxifraga, Asian lilies, and impatiens. You'll find lots of other shade loving annuals and perennials in your local garden center. Enjoy!