The Q&A Archives: When can I prune an Indian Hawthorne Shrub?

Question: I have an indian hawthorne shrub that is about 14 yrs. old and it has never been pruned and kind of wildly.
I never knew when it was the proper time to prune. I live in S. Louisiana. The shrub has never grown too well and it spread out thinly. I tried using liquid miracle grow for shrubs and it has helped. I would appreciate your help.

Answer: Hawthorn shrubs prefer full sunshine, so the bare branches are probably a result of inadequate sunshine, plus infrequent pruning. You can remove any twiggy growth that's non-productive, and then cut the remaining branches and stems back one-third to one-half to encourage new growth. Prune in the early spring to give the shrubs all summer to recover. They will grow in the partial shade, but won't be quite a lush and productive as they would be in full sunshine. If you prune it each spring you'll eventually have a well formed and full shrub.

Best wishes with your landscape!