The Q&A Archives: House plants

Question: All of my house plants continue to die no matter what I do what's my problem

Answer: Shelia,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your houseplant problem is tough to diagnose without more information. The most common problem on houseplants is overwatering. When soil stay too saturated the roots cannot get oxygen and begin to die. Then root rot diseases will often attack the plants as well. Dry soil causes wilting which is often followed by yellowing and dropping (or browning) of leaves even after the plant has been watered and recovered from the wilt symptoms.

It is best to allow your houseplants to dry out a bit between waterings. Check the containers to make sure the drainage holes are not plugged. Finally make sure the plants are getting enough light for the species. Most homes are very low in actual light levels and plants can decline slowly over time.