The Q&A Archives: Planting new Cleveland pear trees

Question: I purchased my new home 5 years ago. In those 5 years I have had 5 seasoned Bradford pear trees fall because of ice and wind. I love the pear style trees and I am considering replanting the Cleveland pear style tree in the spring of this year or the fall. Is there a better time to plant these trees... Spring or Fall?

Answer: Either spring or fall are good times to plant. That's when temperatures are generally cool and rainfall abundant, both of which will help your new trees develop strong root systems before they are triggered to produce top growth. If you've found the trees you want to plant, go ahead and plant them now. If you can't find the appropriate trees, you'll have all summer to find them and you can safely plant them in the early fall.

Best wishes with your new trees!