The Q&A Archives: Money tree plant

Question: I was repotting my plant and when I was attempting to remove the bulb out of the old pot, the bulb broke off of the stem, so I just placed the bulb and stem side by side in the new pot. Will it still grow? HELP!

Answer: Your good luck money tree is Pachira aquatica and what you've done is just the right thing for getting the extra root portion to grow. Usually, to root successfully, the cutting needs to have at least two nodes on it. Nodes are the little bumps that the leaves grow from. If the portion that broke off has nodes, it will root and produce new stems. Only time will tell. At this point, I would leave it potted up and treat it as you did before, watering when necessary. It may take several weeks to a few months for you to see any growth.

Best wishes with your plant!