The Q&A Archives: Squash planting where and when?

Question: I have got some seeds from an acorn and butternut squash that I would like to get planted, where is the best place sun/shade type of fertilizers, soil condition watering everything that you could tell would help out tramendously. Central Florida resident

Answer: Jason,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Squash needs full sun or close to it. Keep the soil moist and the area around them weed free. Fertilize with a soluble plant food such as Miracle Gro when the seedlings get their second leaf and continue feeding weekly for a month following the instructions on the label. Then sprinkle a cup of lawn fertilizer in a 4 foot circular area around the plants and rake it into the surface and water it in well.