The Q&A Archives: Vegetables for Alaska

Question: I am a first time gardener. Can you please advise me as to which vegetables would be best to plant in the Anchorage Alaska area this summer.

Answer: From what I've heard, Alaska is the place to grow prize-winning giant cabbages! Peas, potatoes, carrots and other root crops also do well there. If you need home-grown tomatoes, you can try Burpee's 'Northern Exposure' - the description reads, "Who says you can't grow tasty half-pounders in Alaska?" You'll need to start these indoors from seed. Cabbages are best grown from seed as well, but the others should be planted directly in the soil. I suggest you get in touch with local gardeners and see what they say is tried and tested - my experience is that gardeners love to share their knowledge. Hope this gets you started!