The Q&A Archives: blaze climbing rose

Question: i planted my blaze climbing rose last april in a sunny spot. it grew fine but no sign of any flowers is the norm for the first year ? and also now that spring is coming should i prune it back and by how much?

Answer: Several things can affect blooming; plant maturity, amount of sunshine, soil fertility and watering practices. Climbing roses produce flowers on new growth so pruning your climber back will encourage lots of new growth, and if it is mature enough, lots of flowers this season. Begin by removing any leaves that are still hanging on (just pull them off the canes), then reduce the entire plant by one-third to one-half. This will promote lots of new growth. Next year, when your climber is more established, you can prune out more to keep it neat and tidy. I'd prune now, before new growth begins.

Best wishes with your landscape!