The Q&A Archives: Page Mandarin

Question: I ordered a Satsuma Mandarin to be delivered but was told the growers sent two other species to choose because the satsuma was not available. I let the store expert decide because I have no expertice on these varieties, my request that it to be nearly seedless and easy peeling. My concern--The tag on the Page Mandarin sent says that

Answer: I think you've found a winner in your Page Mandarin. No pollinizer is required. Your new tree will set fruit all on its own. 'Page' Mandarin is a hybrid of 'Minneola' tangelo (itself a hybrid) and Clementine Mandarin. 'Page' retains distinctive Mandarin flavor such that many aficionados consider it the finest flavored of all.

Fruits are small to medium-size, orange-red and distinguished by a prominent rind circle on the blossom end. The fruits will be seedless unless an appropriate pollinizer is nearby. Easy-to-peel and excellent for juice, they ripen February to May in coastal southern and northern California; December to February in inland California.

Best wishes with your new tree!