The Q&A Archives: Covering ranch type wooden fence rapidly 4 ft. high

Question: I have made a small garden and built a 4 ft. high ranch type fence which I want to cover with some flowering greenery which would disguise the empty lot behind the fence. This is west facing. Can you help please?

Answer: Peter,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are a number of different vining plants in which you might use to cover the fence. I would avoid using extremely vigorous vines as they tend to take over and would overwhelm the fence. Better yet I would suggest you consider using some shrubs behind the fence to create a screen. Visit with the agents in your county extension office about the best flowering shrubs for your particular location. Song that I would consider include Nearly Wild roses, Althea, and semi-dwarf varieties of crape myrtle.