The Q&A Archives: Prep for vegetable garden

Question: I want to start a fruit and vegetable garden in my backyard, but I am not sure how to prep the area. I plan on planting tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers. It is pretty much just dry hard dirt as of now... what do I need to do to get it garden ready?

Answer: Your new garden will be most productive if you site it in the sunniest spot available and amend the soil with organic matter before planting or seeding. Start by spreading a 4-5" layer of organic matter (compost, shredded leaves, etc.) over the top of the soil and digging it in to a depth of 8-10". Plant the tallest growing veggies at the back of the garden and the shortest growing veggies in the front so the taller ones don't cast too much shade on the smaller plants. Veggie gardens will need a deep soaking once or twice a week, depending upon weather. Fertilize soil, ample water and lots of sunshine will help your plants produce well.

Best wishes with your garden!