The Q&A Archives: Growing plants with no sunlight?

Question: I just got a new office with no windows and barely any indirect sunlight, if any. I'd like to grow any kind of indoor plant, but don't want to spend a lot on fancy lights (I saw some priced between $180 and $250!). Is there any shortcuts to growing any kind of houseplant in a room with just fluorescent light? Thanks for your help!

Answer: Erin,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It is difficult to grow plants with very little light available. Your best bet is a closet plant, also known as Spathiphyllum. If you have fluorescent lights and can leave them on more hours each day, that will help.