The Q&A Archives: Annuals for Hawaii

Question: What annual seeds can I order that will grow here? I don't know what zone we are in. We live on the island of Molokai at sealevel.

Answer: The neat thing about annuals it that most will grow anywhere! You may have trouble growing those termed "cool-season" annuals, such as pansies, but you'll sometimes find heat-tolerant varieties of cool-season annuals, such as Burpee's selections. If you're new at this, concentrate on the ones Burpee lists as "easy annuals", such as morning glories, nasturtium, four o'clocks, nigella, xeranthemum, etc. Make sure to choose ones that like your garden space (full sun, shade, part-shade). Oh, by the way, you are technically in USDA zone 9. This only poses problems if you want to grow perennials that need a certian number of cold days to set buds/fruit. Also, I understand that conservationists in Hawaii are currently concerned about the loss of native plants - maybe you can contact a native plant society there and see if you can help them reestablish some endangered plants by growing them in your garden! Enjoy your paradise gardening!