The Q&A Archives: Is my Mauri Red Starflower dead?

Question: Last summer, I planted three Mauri Red Starflower bushes. In the fall, the leaves turned brown. They are still attached and the plants look dead. They have no green on them like my other bushes/plants. I live in Denton, Texas.

Answer: Cheryl,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

That plant is not dependably hardy in your area. While it can take a light freeze with only minor damage a normal winter in Denton will usually kill it. Try scratching the bark near the base to see if there is any green underneath or even a healthy cream color, or if it is just dead brown.