The Q&A Archives: Shrub

Question: Hello,
I have tried 3 different years to plant 1 shrub that keeps dying. I tryed planting it in early spring and in about 13-15 months it died. I tryed planting it in the fall before the freeze and it died after 13 or 14 months. The last one I planted seemed to be ok but all of a sudden it died. What can I do to get a shrub to last? I have them all in a row except the one that is in the middle and keeps on dying.

Answer: It sounds to me as though there's a problem with the soil. It is either contaminated with root rot pathogens, or it doesn't drain well enough for your shrubs. Try removing the soil in the spot and replacing it with soil from another area of your garden. Then plant your shrubs in the fresher soil. I think that will do the trick!