The Q&A Archives: lucky bamboo

Question: I need some info on the care of lucky bamboos, such as is it okay to cut the long roots at the bottom of the bamboo? thank you

Answer: Lucky Bamboo is considered extremely easy to take care of if you follow a few simple rules to provide the perfect conditions for a long, healthy life. First, avoid too much sunlight. Lucky Bamboo grows naturally under the canopy of wet tropical rain forests. It needs very little sunlight to thrive. In general, the more indirect, the better. If you see burning or browning on the tips of the leaves, the location may receive too much sunlight. Lucky Bamboo must be kept moist all the time. It prefers a few inches of fresh, or filtered water. It will also thrive in regular potting soil as long as it holds a lot of water. Since neither water nor soil contains the vitamins, minerals and hormones that are found in Lucky Bamboo's natural growing environment, I recommend feeding periodically with a few drops of diluted liquid fertilizer. Rather than cut the long roots, which might harm your plant, I recommend you put it in a larger container - one that will accommodate the roots. Best wishes with your lucky bamboo!