The Q&A Archives: Planting times/zone

Question: I am trying to plant my cabbage, Califlower, Broccili, Romaine Lettuce. This is only my second year and I remeber last year the cabbage startes had to be in the ground before the last frost/freeze. I remeber doing this in March or April. Two things I cannot remeber what zone I am (nor is it making sense to me when reading the zone maps) and I thought what I did read told me to get plants in the ground by 3/21 but today I saw something that said not to plant until May. Can you help me please. My zip is 97862 Milton-Freewater, Or.

Answer: You are in USDA gardening zone 5A with an average last frost day of April 15 and a first frost date of about November 15. The plants you've chosen are considered cool-season plants and can go into the ground about the first of April. If you plant them then and a cold snap threatens, you can temporarily cover your plants with a floating row cover to protect them from frost. If you're sowing seeds, you can do it now - the seeds are cold tolerant and will wait to sprout after the weather warms a bit. If you're setting out transplants, keep them in a protected area for another 2 weeks, then plant them out in the garden.

Hope this answers all your questions!