The Q&A Archives: lirope

Question: I have a lirope jungle. There is grass growing in it as well and I want to thin this out and maybe start over. What is the process. thank you, Jean

Answer: Liriope is actually a lily with two distinctive growth patterns. Liriope muscarii grows in clumps and spreads very slowly, but it will eventually spread throughout a bed. Liriope spicata spreads rapidly by suckers covering an area quickly. Both cultivars have spiked flowers that begin to bloom in late summer or early fall. Purple seems to be the most prevalent color, but some cultivars have varying bloom color.

Both spring and fall are excellent times to divide liriope. Dig the plants and take an old ax or knife and divide each clump leaving 3-4 bibs per clump to reset the plant. The tops can be clipped back to facilitate planting. Make sure you've pulled out any grass or weeds that may be attached to the soil around the liriope before replanting the clumps. Water the plants in well then sidedress with a complete fertilizer to get the groundcover established.

Best wishes with your landscape!