The Q&A Archives: Searching for a certain cucumber

Question: My Mother used to grow a small white cucumber which she called "Little White Runners." She would can these cucumbers with grape leaves and they were out of this world. I hope that you can tell me what cucumbers these were. They were no more three or four inches long.
Thank you.

Answer: The cucumber you're looking for is called Boothby?s Blonde. It is an open-pollinated heirloom cucumber popular for its unique white color and crisp taste. According to the Fedco seed catalog it was ?maintained for five generations by the Boothby family of Livermore [Maine].? It is prolific producer of small white fruit with black spines. These cucumbers can be enjoyed fresh or preserved by pickling. You can do a web search for the Fedco seed catalog or for other suppliers using the term Boothby's Blonde Cucumber.

Best wishes with your garden!