The Q&A Archives: Bacon Avocado Tree

Question: I want to purchase a Bacon Avocado Tree
I live in a zone 9 area. Can I plant this in a pot and will it bear fruit? I read a bit about it and says not to use potting soil. So should I but regular top soil?
I don't want to plant it in the ground since my backyard is mostly rocks with hard clay like dirt.

Answer: 'Bacon' avocado is a full sized tree so while you can keep it in a container for a few years, it will eventually need to be planted in the ground. If you want a fruit bearing dwarf avocado tree, one that you can keep in a container for its entire lifespan, I'd suggest growing 'Little Cado', which is the only true dwarf avocado variety. It is a consistent bearer of good quality, green-skinned fruit and is an excellent choice for backyard use, as a container specimen, or as an espalier.

To answer the second part of your question, avocado trees like loose, decomposed granite or sandy loam best - anything that drains quickly. They will not survive in locations with poor drainage. In containers use a planting mix combined with topsoil. Containerized plants should be leached often to reduce the salt buildup so common with growing in containers.

Best wishes with your new avocado tree!