The Q&A Archives: Grapes

Question: can I prune my grapes now ? How do I prune one that is over grown? Thank you

Answer: Now is a great time to prune your grapevines. If the vines are really overgrown, you may want to simply whack everything down to a more manageable size. This might affect the fruiting for a year because grapes produce fruit on new shoots that develop from old wood. Or, you can selectively prune by cutting back most of last year's wood, leaving at least two bud scars on each cane. This is where new fruiting wood will develop. There are many books on the subject. If you're new to growing and pruning grapes, you may want some in-depth instructions. Try the book 'Pruning' by Christopher Brickell (ISBN#0-671-65841-7) for step by step pruning. Grapes are quite easy to care for. Be sure they get plenty of sunlight and are watered regularly, especially during the summer months when fruits are developing and ripening. Don't fertilize or you'll get lots of rank growth at the expense of fruit.