The Q&A Archives: Lawn care

Question: In the fall I tilled my front lawn. My soil is dirt on top and red clay dirt. The soil is full of rocks. I put down topsoil, lime and seeds. Now it's spring and I see a few patches of grass growing. Two weeks ago I threw down more seeds. How long should it be before I can expect to see grass? I forgot to mention that I really don't know what I'm doing. I need help

Answer: It sounds to me as though you are doing all the right things. You've prepared the seedbed correctly and broadcast your seeds. Now all you need to do is keep it watered (don't allow it to dry out or the seeds will die). Grass seeds will germinate when the temperatures are above 40F. Keep the seedbed moist, hope for warm weather, and when growing conditions are right, the seeds should germinate in 7-10 days.