The Q&A Archives: Partial sun/mostly shade yard needs landscaping using hardy plants

Question: Wanting lots of color. Flowers, bushes, grasses, dwarf tree suggestions needed for upcoming weekend project. French lines, rock/wood/water ponds/bird feeders are already present. Would you please offer me advise of specifics to achieve goals? Thank you.

Answer: Robbie,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your question is really many questions in one. I will provide a few suggestions and then refer you to some additional resources for more assistance. A few good plants for most gardens in your area include yellow bells (Tecoma stans), various Salvia's, maiden grass, semi-dwarf crape myrtles, and Plumbago.

For more information and assistance contact your county extension office at 512-854-9600. The following website will also be very helpful: