The Q&A Archives: growing veggies in planters

Question: What is a good soil and fertilizer mixture for planters for vegetables? I have a good size in ground garden, but I want to grow cucumbers, hot peppers, and maybe some cherry tomatoes in planters and also which type olanters wrok better, round or long?
Thank you

Answer: Bobby,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

For container growing use a standard potting soil mix, not garden soil. Make sure the container was fairly large, at least 5 gallons in quantity for the vegetables you mentioned. Fertilize with any soluble plant food such as Miracle Grow following label instructions. Place the containers in plenty of sunlight for best results and water as needed to keep the soil moist.