The Q&A Archives: Source for Mums

Question: In Organic Gardening, May 97, there is a plan for a perennial border. They recommend a Chrysanthemum x morifolium or a Dendranthema x grandiflorum. I'm putting together an order for your company and I can't seem to find anything that comes near this product. I would think mums would be a real common plant.

Answer: Mums abound! The plants you seek are the ubiquitous garden mums sold in droves each autumn at garden centers everywhere. I'm afraid Burpee's doesn't supply seed - did the sources list in the magazine article tell you where seed is available? They usually do. Plants are available from Carroll Gardens (444 East Main St., Westminster MD 21157; ph# 800/638-6334), and Huff's Gardens (710 Juniatta St., Burlington KS 66839; ph# 800/279-4675) is another supplier. I don't know if Huff's offers seeds or not - give them a call! Hope this helps!