The Q&A Archives: How do I get rid of thistle weed?

Question: How do I get rid of thistle weed? It has completely covered all of the mulched areas. Tried pulling, raking, and spraying with salt water. Have 3 dogs so I don't want to use pesticides. Paid a lawn boy $300 in the fall to get rid of it and it is all back. Help!

Answer: Cathy,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I'm not sure you have an option other than pulling or spraying. There are products you can wipe on the foliage as opposed to spraying which will translocate down into the plant and kill it. I suggest you contact your County Extension Office for some of the more effective but less toxic products to kill thistle.