The Q&A Archives: foxtail palm .

Question: i planted it march 4 2008 and the leaves are starting to turn brown what do i do.

Answer: Frank,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

When a palm's fronds start to turn brown is usually assigned the soil problem. Drought, root burn from excessive fertilizer applications, or even soggy wet conditions which exclude oxygen and kill roots can result in browning of the top. I suggest you trim away any brown areas since they will not read green and then tried to alleviate whichever of the above problems might have been occurring. With moderate watering and fertilizing the tree should fill them with fresh new fronds that are green and healthy.