The Q&A Archives: Beginner gardener

Question: I live in Hyattsville, MD. We have a front and back yard that have never been tended to. I would love to learn how to prepare the soil, learn how and what types of flowers/plants I can plant/in which season, how to maintain the lawn, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Answer: Irma,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your question is really many questions in one. For a great resource to help you with locally pertinent gardening advice, plant lists, and free educational materials like me referred you to your County Extension Office. The following website provides a link to your local office:

This next website is a great resource for gardening information your area: