The Q&A Archives: Canna Root Planting

Question: I'm planting Canna Rhizomes in containers on my terrace and<br>do not know which way to orient the Rhizomes. They each have 3 sections and short root formation. Which way is up?<br><br>

Answer: Cannas can be purchased in two or three eye divisions from most bulb dealers. The roots should be planted as soon as the soil has thoroughly warmed up in the spring. Set them about two inches deep and 12-24 inches apart--try to point the "eyes" up. A good shovelful of compost should be mixed in the soil around each root. Also, enrich the hole with a handful of 0-10-10 fertilizer (or a similar mix with no nitrogen). <br>Remember that you'll need to dig up the roots in the fall and store them in a cool, frost-free place over the winter.