The Q&A Archives: Scotch / Irish moss

Question: Ok I have some pavers that I want to plant Irish moss in between....My question is do I have to space the moss out and wait for it to grow together. Or can I get instant gratification and plant the moss butt fit like a sod so I have full coverage in the spaces right away. The spaces are around 3? wide by 3? long .....The pavers are old colored cement squares about 3?x4?

There use to be redwood separating the cement pavers ....the red wood been removed

Answer: You can certainly plant Irish moss thickly so the bare soil between the pavers is completely covered. As the moss grows, you'll want to thin it out so it has ample room to grow - otherwise it will grow over the pavers and leave little room for stepping. But, for instant coverage, there is no reason for you not to plant thickly. Enjoy!