The Q&A Archives: Info on Sanservias

Question: Hi!
Finally some pretty signs of spring!

I have some Sanservias and some of them are getting kind of curly looking. Does this mean they are getting too little water or not enough?
They are in my south window and are getting semi-sun behind some
Thanks, Dorian

Answer: Curling leaves on Sansevieria usually indicates over-watering. If you're keeping the soil consistently moist, try holding back on water (especially in the wintertime). Allow the top of the soil to dry out before watering thoroughly. Plants differ in their degree of sensitivity to chilling, but sansevieria can produce curling leaves if subjected to cold temperatures or cold drafts (from open doors or windows). Chilling causes changes in cell membrane structure, which, in essence, causes the cells to "leak" their contents. This causes a loss in plant vigor and reduced growth. The damage may not be visible for months after chilling has taken place. Many times a secondary problem such as disease will begin to increase due to the loss of vigor. This secondary problem is then blamed for the damage, and chilling goes undetected.

Hope this information will help you determine the problem with your plant.