The Q&A Archives: Baldwin Apple Tree

Question: I have an old baldwin apple tree that is dying. The middle of the tree has been hollow for quite a few years now. There now seems to be a couple trees growing out of the center of the tree. If I take down or once it falls down ...its very close....will these grow to produce fruit.

Answer: It sounds as though your tree is sending up suckers or water sprouts. Typically these are non-productive and are generally removed. However, in this case I think the tree is compensating for the death of the older branches and if you allow one of the new sprouts to grow, it can become a new Baldwin apple tree. It may take 5-6 years before it flowers and sets fruit, but it just might be worth the wait - Baldwin apples are delicious!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"