The Q&A Archives: Wisteria

Question: Hi,
I live in N. Cal. Danville. I just bought two Standard Wisteria Trees or vines. The tag does not give much information. They are aprox. 7 ft high. Trunck is aprox. 1 to 2

Answer: Wisteria flowers best in full sunshine, but it sounds as though the site will get at least 6 hours of sunshine so it will probably be just fine. Wisteria will twine around a support frame all on its own. You may need to direct the vines while they're young but once they develop a basic structure of vines, they will scramble up and over a support without needing to be tied. The trunk will become 4-6" at maturity, with lots and lots of supporting branches and new green growth. At some time in the future you'll want to thin the plant out by removing some of the twining growth. Otherwise, it could take over your entire house! While they are vigorous growers, as long as you prune every winter, they won't become invasive. As far as I know, deer are not especially fond of wisteria so your plant should be safe from them.

Best wishes with your new wisteria!