The Q&A Archives: House Plants

Question: I'm new at gardening and I would like to know what are the best houseplants to have. I thought I would decorate my house with real plants (all I have are fake). I'm looking for something low maintenance, basically something that's not easy to kill. Like I said, I'm a beginner.

Answer: So many choices, so little room! I'd vote for plants with variegated foliage, just to add interest to the room. Aglaonema 'Silver Queen' is a good start. It has a reputation for being tolerant of all kinds of conditions and is slow-growing so you won't have to replace it for quite some time. Aphelandra, the Zebra Plant is another easy to grow plant with the bonus of yellow blooms. Asparagus fern is delicate looking and delightful in a hanging basket and Caladium comes with red, white and green leaves. Croton is another easy to grow plant, as is Pilea. You might want to visit a garden center or florist's shop for additional ideas. Enjoy your indoor garden!