The Q&A Archives: Questions about African Violets

Question: I have been trying to grow african violets for several years but to no avail. I have tried the siol for them and also used fertilizer just for african violets and they just seem to wilt and die. I have also tried varrying the amount of sun/shade that they get. HELP!!! If there are any suggestions or helpful hints available I would be most appriciative!!
Thank You!
Heather :)

Answer: Let's see if we can help... Here are some secrets to successful growing: Give the plants average household temperatures, but avoid drafts or sudden changes in temperature. Place the plants in a bright, sunny window, but keep them from getting direct sunlight. Keep the soil moist, but wait until the soil surface begins to dry before watering. Use tepid, not cold water, and try not to get water on the leaves or crowns of the plants when you apply water. African violets like humidity in the air. To increase humidity, place the pot on a tray of pebbles in which you keep about a half-inch of water. As the water evaporates it will add humidity. Some expert gardeners are able to get African violets to bloom ten months of the year. This is because the plants are given perfect growing conditions. More often, though, African violets will bloom for a few weeks, then rest for several weeks, and then bloom again. Cut the flowers and stems off when the flowers fade. Good luck with your plants.