The Q&A Archives: Bad Soil

Question: I have a lawn mixed with bermuda grass and st. augustine. Every year around this time the weeds become uncontrollable and I have to purchase weed & seed. While digging a fence i noticed that there was rocks and clay in the ground from when they built the house. What can i do to start repairing the soil and also how can i get the st. augustine grass to take over the bermuda?

Answer: Roy,

It is difficult to kill Bermuda without killing St. Augustine. There just are not any products that will do that. As far as improving the soil the best way is to add several inches of composted organic matter an then to mix it in deeply. Do this any time you change the plants out in a planting bed.

To fight weeds fertilize, mow and water regularly to build a dense, healthy turf.