The Q&A Archives: when and how to plant shrubs

Question: Along my carport I would like to plant some shrubs. when would be the best time to do this and how do I do this?

Answer: Spring or fall are the best months to plant. That's usually when temperatures are cool and rainfall abundant, which will help the roots of your new shrubs become well established. As a general rule of thumb, plant shrubs at the same soil level as they were growing in the nursery pot. Dig a hole as deep and slightly wider than the nursery container. Rough up the soil on the bottom and sides of the planting hole, then turn the nursery pot on its side and gently pull the shrub from the pot. You can loosen the roots if they seem to be packed together very tightly. Then set the plant in the hole and fill in around the sides with the dirt you removed from the hole. Tamp it down gently to remove any air pockets, then water well to force out any air pockets in the soil. Be sure to water your newly planted shrubs on a weekly basis.

Best wishes with your new plants!